Join the IVS for Climate Justice Programme!
Organise a Climate Justice Workcamp!
IVS for Climate Justice is a worldwide programme taking place in over 100 countries, coordinated by CCIVS, bringing together the activities of five International Voluntary Service networks, CCIVS, Service Civil international (SCI), The International Building Organisation (IBO), Alliance of European Voluntary Service Organisations and Network for Voluntary Development Asia (NVDA). It engages volunteers with local communities to work on grassroots projects that combine manual work and awareness raising actions. These address issues such as: climate change, carbon offset, environmental sustainability, protection of ecosystems, water and soil management and conservation. Each year a new campaign is developed to promote the work of the IVS movement in this field.
With over 38.6% of IVS short term projects focusing on environmental themes, and the issue being one of the most important to the continuation of life as we know it on earth today, we seek to promote and raise awareness about the thousands of projects taking place around the world and the volunteers working for this.
Whats is Climate Justice for the IVS Movement? As a matter of principle, climate change is a global challenge affecting the entire world and humanity as a whole. At a closer look, however, people most responsible for anthropogenic climate change and those most affected by its consequences differ. Geographical location, economic status as well as means to act may determine the vulnerability of individuals living today. Apart from that, scientists predict increasingly severe consequences of climate change for generations yet to come. The concept of climate justice addresses this unequal allocation of benefits and burdens by relating climate change to matters of social justice and human rights.
As part of the International Voluntary Service (IVS) movement, we consider climate justice as an inevitable brick in building a sustainable future and creating a just and fair society. Our members, projects and activities stretch across the entire globe, uniting people of all ages and backgrounds. IVS projects and activities are a powerful tool to support local communities worldwide, and allow to reallocate resources and capacities. By taking active steps against climate change and demonstrating solidarity with most vulnerable population groups and peoples, we assume our responsibility in the global sustainability challenge and seek to do our part in attaining climate justice.
A simple way for the IVS movement to raise awareness about our work is to showcase the projects we do very well. As such we invite you to choose one of your best practice camps related to environment / sustainability / climate justice / climate change and join this workcamp to the IVS for Climate Justice annual campaign for 2018!
Following on from a strategic planning meeting made with the Global Meeting of IVS networks, for this programme we have defined the following benefits for IVS organisations to join the 2018 campaign:
Uniting our projects
- under one common banner allows the IVS movement to have a wider audience and therefore greater visibility, giving external stakeholders a clear idea of the work we are doing in the field;
- gives new possibilities for impact measurement of our actions and to communicate data externally about what we do, thereby increasing our credibility through concrete factual findings;
- allows volunteers to feel a sense of unity to a worldwide action and to follow the news about the diffèrent projects taking place around the world;
- promotes shared values and shows solidarity; the campaign allows IVS organisations to learn from one another;
- benefits the promotion of your activities to your local partners, general public, civil society, UN bodies and other intergovernmental institutions;
- Provides common promotional tools and communication guidelines and an ‘IVS for Climate Justice’ logo which can be used to label the workcamp.
HOW TO JOIN ?
Choose your best practice project on environment / sustainability / climate justice / climate change and sign up HERE
Deadline 15 March Please try to fill in ASAP as CCIVS will be able to promote the workcamps on
the Forum taking place in UNESCO on the 23/04 www.ccivs.org/justvolunteers
More news and follow us! www.ccivs.org/ivsforclimatejustice Twitter: @ivs4climate
For more information, please contact the CCIVS Secretariat at email@example.com